Illustrated by noted New York native lithographer L.R. Burleigh this unique bird's eye perspective of Geneva, NY, as the turn of the century neared portrays the city in a period of significant growth and transformation. Officially incorporated in 1806, Geneva lies at the Northern edge of Lake Seneca. When the Eerie Canal was completed in 1825, access opened for local farmers to distribute their crops throughout the Eastern seaboard.
Burleigh was prolific, producing over 120 original illustrations of town and cities across the Northeast. His distinctive aesthetic and style made these illustrations popular throughout America during the latter portion of the nineteenth century. His works have been in the Smithsonian, Boston Library, and Library of Congress, and he is considered one of the most prominent lithographers of his era. Burleigh worked as a civil engineer before beginning his lithography business.
The cities proximity to the Canal also opened up midwestern markets that had previously been inaccessible. By the 1890s, a flourishing manufacturing industry allowed the city to thrive in the so-called 'Gilded Age.' These illustrations served as marketing materials for cities and towns across America to highlight prominent business people, civil buildings, and other enticing features. They were also displayed in a show of civic pride by merchants and residents alike. Their striking style immediately transports the viewer back in time and creates a link to the past while simultaneously depicting how an area has grown and evolved. This is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1893 Geneva NY Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1893 Geneva New York Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.