Published by the prominent and prolific Augustus Koch, this bird's eye perspective of Jacksonville, Fl depicts the city in a period of significant transition and growth as it neared the turn of the century. Koch's career spanned thirty years, and his engravings were among the most popular of the era, known for their intricate details and distinctive style. Koch produced more than one hundred illustrations and traveled extensively throughout the United States, creating these works.
By the late nineteenth century, Jacksonville had started major development spurred on by flocks of tourists trying to escape Northern winters. Numerous resorts opened to house the rich and famous during the so-called Gilded Age. The Subtropical Exposition held in 1888 was Florida's world's fair and drew the attendance of president Grover Cleveland. This attracted further public attention to the city and expanded tourist numbers.
Jacksonville became an important United States Naval stronghold during the Spanish-American war in 1898. The war, which lasted nearly four months, had US Gunships coming in and out of Jacksonville's ports as they sailed south to Cuba. The city would become an essential military station in the 1940s with the establishment of the Naval Air Station Jacksonville. Its geographic position near the Georgia border earned it the title "Gateway to Florida" in the 1920s as railroad passengers traveled through to reach the southernmost reaches of the state. This bird's eye perspective immediately transports the viewer back in time and is truly a piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1893 Jacksonville Florida Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1893 Map of Jacksonville FL. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.