- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1894 San Mateo County Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and the text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1894 Old San Mateo County Map Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Established in 1856 as one of the original eighteen counties in California, San Mateo County was formed as the southern boundary for San Francisco and is one of the most iconic places in the American West. Produced by the Schmidt Label & Lithography Company, this detailed depiction of the region shows it in a time of great prosperity and transition. Schmidt became the largest mapmaker on the West coast and constructed the landmark Schmidt Lithography Co. Clock Tower, which has come to be known as the “timepiece of Rincon hill.” The Rincon Hill neighborhood was established following the Gold Rush and is one of the original Seven Hills of San Francisco and immediately became one of the most prestigious and fashionable areas.
In the late nineteenth century, the region was experiencing significant growth and economic prosperity. The county seat Redwood City became a hub as an alternative deep-water port south of San Francisco. The area would eventually become the leading center for technology companies and the establishment of Silicon Valley. This illustration bears a unique aesthetic and style which immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible link between the past and present.
As part of the San Francisco Bay Area, San Mateo County represents some of the most iconic images of American history, with sailors, prospectors, and immigrants alike shaping the region's culture and community. As cities and towns flourished in the area, residents established neighborhoods with distinctive characteristics, many of which exist to this day.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.