Published to commemorate the Tennessee Centennial Exposition in 1897, this stunningly ornate and detailed depiction of the iconic Southern city was produced to celebrate the state’s inclusion into the United States in 1797. The exposition lasted from May to October and covered some 200 acres. President William McKinley visited the celebration in June of 1897 after officially opening the event from the White House a month prior. Nearly two million people attended the event, which featured buildings devoted to agriculture, the arts, commerce, education, history, and a replica of the Parthenon.
Nashville’s population had expanded to nearly one hundred thousand at the turn of the century from just over sixteen thousand in 1860. The city was experiencing a cultural and economic transformation as it raced towards the twentieth century. The period following the conclusion of the Civil War required extensive rebuilding throughout the state as numerous clashes between the Union and the Confederacy had ravaged both farmlands and cities. This rebuilding attracted workers from throughout the American south, many of whom settled in Nashville and established neighborhoods that still exist today.
Bird’s eye perspectives were among the most popular illustrations of the late nineteenth century, and their popularity continued throughout the 1920s, and their distinctive aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time. Published during the so-called Gilded Age, this map displays the optimism and prosperity of the era as America pushed towards the turn of the century and modernity. This is an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1897 Nashville Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1897 Map of Nashville TN. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.