After becoming a significant railroad hub in the 1870s and 1880s, Oakland had experienced a population boom that would continue into the next century. Published and drawn by Oakland resident architect Fred Soderberg this bird’s eye perspective contains remarkable detail and bears a unique style that immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating a link between the present and past. The edges detail notable buildings throughout the iconic American city. These illustrations served as marketing materials to attract workers and industrialists alike. Residents and businesses would also display these as a show of civic pride.
At the turn of the century, Oakland was experiencing great prosperity and significant transition as the close of the nineteenth century provided optimistic views and rapid development. Electric streetcars took residents as far west as Berkeley, and lines had been established throughout the city during the 1890s. Oakland had risen in industrial significance. A seaport was completed in 1902 that spurred on this economic expansion and created the town of Alameda. Workers from across the country were attracted to Oakland for its economic opportunities, and many neighborhoods were established that still exist to this day.
A major earthquake in 1906 would cause devastation throughout the city but allowed it to be rebuilt with more modern glass and steel buildings that give Oakland its unique aesthetic. Spurred on during the so-called ‘Gilded Age,” Oakland was experiencing tremendous development, growth, and prosperity at this time. This unique depiction is an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1900 Oakland Map Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1900 Oakland City Poster. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 24 x 36 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.