- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1901 San Jose Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and the text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1901 San Jose Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced by prolific California lithographers Britton & Rey, who were the most popular mapmakers on the west coast throughout the second half of the nineteenth century. Their unique bird's eye perspectives were commercially popular with business owners and residents alike. The San Francisco based duo became the premier lithographers of the Gold Rush era, and their publications served as promotion for cities throughout California.
Bird's eye perspectives were popular marketing tools for towns and cities across America, and their unique aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time. San Jose's population had grown to over twenty-thousand by 1900, and the region was an agricultural hub for the state and nation alike. In 1850 San Jose became the first capital of California, and the period from 1900 to 1920 marked tremendous innovations in physics and aviation technologies pioneered by John Montgomery and his work with heavier than air flying machines. This tradition of innovation in technology would continue through the decades, and San Jose would eventually become known as Silicon Valley as nearly every major tech company would be headquartered in the city.
In 1906 an earthquake in San Francisco caused more than three thousand deaths in the region, and the event was considered one of the worst natural disasters to strike northern California. The death toll remains the most significant loss of life from a natural disaster in California's history. San Jose's rich history and culture come to life in this rare piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.