Produced by prominent American geologist Alfred Hulse Brooks for the United States Geological Survey, this detailed map of Alaska is the culmination of years of research and numerous expeditions into the Alaskan wilderness. Brooks is credited with discovering and making the Brooks mountain range, the biggest in arctic Alaska, and noting that it is not part of the Rocky Mountain range as was previously believed. Brooks served as the chief geologist for Alaska from 1903 to 1924 and produced remarkable photographs of local communities during his exploration that are featured in Yale University's library.
The inset details the Aleutian Islands and represents some of the earliest mapping of the archipelago. Brooks' work for the United States Geological Survey was pioneering in the region. The US had purchased the territory from Russia in 1867 but would not gain statehood until 1959. The discovery of gold in 1899 sparked a gold rush, and towns such as Fairbanks and Ruby were established. Railroads began to be constructed during this time as well, allowing for Alaska's population to expand as eager prospectors made their way north from the United States. The Klondike Gold Rush remains one of the most iconic periods of American History.
The vastness of Alaska's wilderness is reproduced here with stunning detail and clarity. One of the most distinct states in the Union, Alaska, holds a unique character in American History and has become iconic for its arctic wilderness and geological features. This map is an authentic piece of American cartographical History.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1909 Alaska State Map . Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1909 Map of Alaska. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.