Published during a time of great prosperity and population growth, this detailed bird’s eye perspective of Asheville show’s the city thriving after the turn of the century. By 1900 Asheville was the third-largest city in North Carolina and had experienced this significant growth spurred by expanded access with the completion of the Western North Carolina Railroad. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Asheville was established at the confluence of the French Broad and Swannanoa Rivers.
Produced by prominent and prolific American cartographer and illustrator Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler. He is best known for this style of bird’s eye perspective, which was wildly popular from the late nineteenth century until the 1920s. Fowler produced numerous perspectives throughout the East Coast. His work is held in collections at Pennsylvania State University, Yale, and Boston Public Library. After working for his uncle as a photographer, Fowler started his own lithography company. Bird’s eye perspectives served as marketing materials to attract residents and industrialists alike. Merchants and residents would also display them to show civic pride.
Asheville had the first electric street railway in North Carolina, which was completed in 1889; these were replaced by buses in 1934. The city’s prosperity was fueled by a robust lumber industry and a burgeoning manufacturing industry that was taking hold across the Midwest and Western regions of North Carolina. Fowler’s distinctive aesthetic and unique style immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating a link between the past and present. This is truly an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1912 Asheville Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1912 Asheville NC Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 24 x 36 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.