Published by the American Association of Automobiles in 1919, this map of Arizona and New Mexico was produced to promote auto travel and tourism throughout the American Southwest. Founded in 1902, the association was influential in the first half of the twentieth century and provided valuable resources for motorists throughout the nation.
New Mexico had been governed as a territory until 1912 when it achieved statehood as the 47th State admitted into the Union. Arizona had nearly been included with New Mexico in this act, but progressive voters throughout the State resisted the efforts, and Arizona became the 48th State in 1912.
The early years of the twentieth century saw a remarkable transformation throughout the American Southwest as the population grew with residents seeking the dry climate and untouched lands. Automobile travel further increased access, and both states saw increases in towns and cities in what had otherwise been a mostly inhospitable portion of arid land. AAA maps were popular in this era and offered a glimpse of wonder and adventure as rail lines for traveling no longer limited tourists. The idea of automobile recreation was beginning to take hold in the nation.
By 1919 both states were expanding rapidly. New Mexico had nearly two hundred thousand residents by 1910 as eager homesteaders came from the East and Western Europe to establish vast cattle ranches. The unique aesthetic immediately transports the viewer back in time, and this is an authentic piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1919 Arizona New Mexico Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1919 Map of New Mexico and Arizona. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.