Illustrated by noted American painter and geological surveyor William Jackson Henry in 1861, this reproduction was published a century later to commemorate the iconic Pony Express route that ran from Missouri to California for a storied eighteen month period from 1860 to 1861. The Pony Express was the most direct form of communication for East-West messages until the completion of the first transcontinental telegraph line was completed in 1861. After their replacement by the telegraph line, the riders for the Pony Express became a part of the American West's lore, and their quick journeys became the stuff of legends. They could travel across the nation in a mere ten days, and their reliance on hardy riders and fast horses became a symbol of rugged American individualism in the mid-nineteenth century.
Linked by 186 separate Pony Express stations, their transcontinental route started in St. Joseph, Missouri, and concluded in Sacramento, California. A young William Cody became one of the most famous of the Pony Express riders, and his legend serves as the epitome of the American West's rough image. Demand for communication to California had grown as the Gold Rush had caused a population expansion in the previous decades. Another factor was the impending outbreak of the Civil War and California's importance for Union efforts.
The unique aesthetic, distinctive style, and inset details immediately transport the viewer back in time and create a link between the past and present. This is a rare and stunningly illustrated piece of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1960 Pony Express Poster. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1960 The Pony Express Map. This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 12 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.