Published as the Soviet Union began to transition to a reformation government under Mikhail Gorbachev, this CIA map depicts the Union in a time of significant cultural and economic shift. Years of sanctions imposed by the United States during the cold war and massive defense spending by the government had stagnated the economy, and citizens felt the brunt of these economic conditions. The death of Leonid Brezhnev in 1982 left a power vacuum that would eventually be overtaken by Gorbachev, who would lead until the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991.
Under Gorbachev's rule, greater social and political freedoms were granted, and there was widespread criticism of the communist system. The Soviet Union toppled in 1991 when Boris Yeltsin seized power from Gorbachev following several republics resisting control from the central government and a failed coup that attempted to unseat Gorbachev.
The CIA produces geopolitical maps to allow intelligence, military, and government officials to plan international strategy and maintain clear images of a region's cultures, boundaries, and potential for impact to US Foreign Policy interests. Their distinctive aesthetic known for concision, clarity, and accuracy allows the viewer to better understand the history of the region and how it affects future events. Russia's history and sheer vastness have created a distinct culture with substantial regional differences. The Cold War and tensions with the United States have existed since the conclusion of World War II, and these CIA produced maps were integral to American foreign policy and are genuine pieces of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.
- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1983 Soviet Union Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1983 USSR Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true, accurate piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This 18 x 24 Inch print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.