- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1885 China Map. Our museum quality prints are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1885 China Wall Map. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced by noted Scottish Cartographer and geographer John George Bartholomew, this stunning, detailed depiction of China in its late Imperial Era shows the nation In a period of transformation both economically and culturally. Bartholomew came from a celebrated line of mapmakers and was Cartographer to the King during the height of his career in the late nineteenth century. Published by Adam and Charles Black, which was founded in 1807 and is still in operation to this day. Bartholomew frequently worked with A & C Black, and their works are considered some of the best examples of European cartography from the nineteenth century. The firm would go on to publish one of Bartholomew’s most regarded Atlases of the World.
This map was illustrated during the Qing dynasty, which lasted from 1644 to 1912 and was the last Imperial Dynasty in China. During the mid-nineteenth century, Western nations, particularly Great Britain, made excursions into mainland China resulting in the ceding of Hong Kong to the British in the Treaty of Nanking in 1842. The late nineteenth century saw a large number of Chinese emigrate to the Western United States and establish thriving communities in San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver, BC.
Bartholomew’s distinctive style and unique aesthetic immediately transport the viewer back in time, creating an indelible bond between the past and present. The 1880s were a period of significant transformation globally as technological advances brought China and Western Nations to a modern era; this is truly an authentic piece of cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.