- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1886 Amherst Massachusetts Map. Our museum quality prints are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1886 Amherst Map of Massachusetts Poster. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced and published by Lucien Burleigh, this birds eye perspective depicts Amherst in a period of significant growth, prosperity, and transformation as the nation recovered from the Civil War and rushed to the turn of the twentieth century. Burleigh was one of the most prolific cartographers of his era and produced numerous works throughout the Northeast. His maps are found in the Smithsonian American art Museum and the Boston Public Library. These maps served as marketing materials and were used to promote prominent civic features, historical buildings, educational institutions, and economic features to attract residents and merchants alike.
The first Europeans to explore the Amherst region date back to 1665 though permanent settlements were not established until 1727. The region remained an important hub for raising livestock in the vast grazing areas found in the Pioneer Valley. By 1886 the region had become known for its educational institutions, and the Massachusetts Agricultural College became an important leader in scientific methods applied to traditional farming and grazing techniques. Amherst remains one of the most historically significant and iconic towns of the Northeast and is known for its deep roots in American literary and poetic history. Amherst is the birthplace of famed nineteenth-century poet Emily Dickinson, and Robert Frost taught poetry at the eponymous University and retired in the town.
This is an authentic piece of American cartographical history that bears a signature style and immediately transports the viewer back in time, creating an indelible bond between the past and present.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. Shipped in a sturdy cardboard tube your print will arrive ready to be framed. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.