- VINTAGE MAP REPRODUCTION: You’ll love this high quality historic reproduction of 1890 Despatch Rochester NY Map. Our museum quality maps are archival grade, which means it will look great and last without fading for over 100 years. Our print to order maps are made in the USA and each map is inspected for quality. This beautiful artwork is a perfect addition to your themed decor. Vintage maps look great in the home, study or office. They make a perfect gift as well.
- MUSEUM QUALITY: This high quality map print will be a great addition to your vintage-themed wall. Don't waste money on cheap-looking, thin paper posters. We use thick, fine art print quality matte paper. Our professional’s choice matte paper displays artwork in high detail without glare. The color is vibrant and text is easy to read. When framed, this map looks absolutely stunning.
- A LOOK BACK AT HISTORY: This is an impressive, historic reproduction of 1890 Despatch Rochester Map . This print is from an original found in the maps and geography division of the US Library of Congress. A true piece of history. See our product description section for more fascinating information about this historic map and its significance.
- READY TO FRAME: This print includes a 0.2 inch border for a perfect frame fit and look. Our maps are designed to fit easy-to-find standard frame sizes, saving you money from having to pay for a custom frame. Each map is inspected for quality and shipped in a rigid tube.
- HISTORIX: We love history and art. Sometimes old maps have tears, folds, separations and other blemishes. We digitally restore and enhance maps while keeping its historical character. All our maps are proudly made in the USA. Customers all over the world love our vintage maps and we know you will too.
Produced by prolific American cartographer, illustrator, and publisher Oakley Hoopes Bailey, this grand depiction of Despatch, NY, captures the city in a period of growth both economically and culturally as the United States entered the so-called Gilded Age. Bailey produced nearly four hundred maps in his lengthy career that lasted five decades. His works focused on cities throughout the Northeast and are characterized by their ornate style and distinctive aesthetic. A collection of his illustrations is housed in the Library of Congress. Birdseye perspectives, or panoramic maps, were among the most popular images of the nineteenth century and were used by cities to attract industrialists and residents alike by featuring prominent civic features.
Incorporated only three years prior to this publication, Despatch, NY is now known as East Rochester and was designed around the New York Central Railroad, which ran through the town center. Despatch was annexed in 1906 to showcase the cities proximity to the more extensive economic advantages in Rochester. George Eastman founded Kodak in Rochester in the late nineteenth century and later became a prominent philanthropist. The city experienced a population boom as Western European and Southern American immigrants flocked to the city eager for employment in the numerous mills and textile plants.
As the United States raced towards the turn of the century, business was booming, and Rochester’s residents felt the benefits. Numerous neighborhoods were established along cultural lines and bear these distinctions to this day. Bailey’s detailed works are truly authentic pieces of American cartographical history.
Our museum quality giclee print comes printed with archival ink on premium heavyweight matte paper. This eye-catching vintage map reproduction print makes the perfect gift for anyone that loves history and imagery.